What is a strategic plan?
A strategic plan is the vehicle that allows an organization to look at its future. Through visioning, developing a mission, examining core values, and setting achievable goals, the district moves toward the attainment of school improvement.
Over the course of the next several months, the Champlain Valley School District will be implementing the development/deployment of a strategic planning process.
The ongoing process is designed to be sustainable with CVSD's students, parents, staff, and community. We are working with Phil Gore, a representative from the VT School Boards Association. He has been hired by the district, as a consultant, to provide critical support for the development of the strategic planning process.
The CVSD Strategic Plan was approved by the school board!The elements of the strategic plan featured in the following slides were adopted by the CVSD School Board on Tuesday, March 21, 2023. Some next steps include the development of actions and measures under each objective.
Draft Plan Elements and Surveys Were Available for Feedback
The CVSD Strategic Planning committee drafted some plan elements and sought input from all community members. That included parents/caregivers, those without children in our schools, faculty/staff, and students.
This set of slides was shared at the January Virtual Town Hall. Feedback and input were encouraged from January 10 - March 3, 2023. Thank you to those who contributed!
These slides were shared at the CVSD Board Meeting on February 21, 2023.
Strategic Planning Survey
We encouraged all members of the CVSD community to complete the strategic planning survey. The survey was open from September 23 - November 13, 2022.
Here are slides that summarize the input from the survey.
Community Forums: What do you envision for CVSD schools?
Thank you to all who were able to attend the forums! Your input played an important role in the development of the strategic plan.
The forums took place on October 15, October 17, and October 27 in locations around our district.
Resources from various meetings and events:
- August 25 Meeting minutes
- August 25 Slides, shared by Phil Gore
- Virtual CVSD Strategic Planning Town Hall, September 14, 2022
- Virtual CVSD Strategic Planning Town Hall, November 9, 2022
- Virtual CVSD Strategic Planning Town Hall, January 11, 2023
- Virtual CVSD Strategic Planning Town Hall, March 8, 2023. Slides shared 3/8/23
- Final draft shared with the CVSD School Board on March 21, 2023
CVSD Strategic Planning DRAFT Timeline
From Phil Gore:
- Meet with the superintendent, Central Office Leadership Team (COLT), and Board Officers to discuss needs, hopes, and sponsorship of the work [March 2022]
- Meet with the board for a visioning exercise and input [April and May 2022]
- Discuss values, beliefs, vision, and mission
- Define the community and identify community groups
- Meet with principals (and other administrators) for input into [April 2022]
- Discuss values, beliefs, vision, mission
- Review the process and gather input on concerns and hopes
- Meet with the board on Vision, Mission, and Inclusion [May]
- Convene a Strategic Plan Steering Committee (20-30 people) [August 2022]
- Superintendent and his designated senior staff
- Principal representatives
- Teacher representatives
- Non-certificated staff
- Parent representatives
- Student representatives
- Community (non-parent) representatives
- Other key constituent groups (safety, government, business)
- Board member members
- Hold Community Forums for input on goals, objectives, and tasks [October 2022]
- Conduct SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats) Analysis
- Collect input on objectives and tasks
- Draft goal areas
- Subgroups of the Steering Committee meet on Goal Areas [November—December 2022]
- Write actionable goal statements
- Develop clear objectives for each goal
- Organize tasks under each objective
- Present Draft Strategic Plan to the Board for review and input [January 2023]
- Develop Metrics for Priorities, Objectives, and Tasks [January—February 2023]
- Present Final Strategic Plan to Board for adoption [March 2023]
More information will be posted here as it becomes available.