The goal of the Champlain Valley School District Curriculum Office is to assist our six schools to provide a learning environment that nurtures the academic development of every student. To achieve this as well as program consistency throughout CVSD, meaningful professional development is planned, coordinated and assessed by the Director of Learning and Innovation. As a school district, we regularly update curriculum and assessments to align with research based "best practice." The national Common Core Standards as well as the Next Generation Science Standards are a significant focus of our curriculum and instruction work.
Projects underway through the CVSD curriculum office include:
- MATH - Coordination of CVSD Math Initiative that includes: implementation of Common Core aligned Bridges K-5, implementation of Common Core aligned CMP3 for middle level students, implementation of Fact Fluency Assessment, coordination of data use and analysis in VCAT, and professional development focused on Best Practices and Studios K-12 as well as implementation of the Common Core Math Standards
- LITERACY - Revision and implementation of On Demand Expository Writing Assessment, support for Readers and Writers Workshop instructional model, implementation of Lucy Calkins core aligned units of writing, coordination of data use and analysis in VCAT, and professional development focused on the Common Core ELA Standards and related instructional shifts
- SCIENCE - Revision and implementation of CVSD Inquiry Science Task Assessments, use and analysis of data, and ongoing professional development in science and the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT - Coordination of a multifaceted K-12 in-service program that focuses on implementation of the Common Core, MTSS (Multi-Tiered System of Support), Math and Literacy Best Practice and NGSS
- ASSESSMENT - Continued development and refinement of the CVSD Common Assessment System (CCAS) and data collection and use in VCAT