CVSD Superintendent Search Update
We are thrilled to announce the hiring of Rene Sanchez as the new Superintendent for the Champlain Valley School District, beginning July 1, 2021.
As part of the superintendent search process, the CVSD School Board sought input from community members, students, teachers, support staff, and administrators in regard to the attributes of the community and school, the issues the new superintendent will face, and what qualities stakeholders would like to see in our new superintendent.
Community involvement was encouraged in late January through multiple Zoom forums (there were 12 opportunities for different groups, including three for the wider community) with the search consultant, as well as a survey that was sent to all families and employees in the district. The consultant produced a 33-page summary of the thoughts and questions shared at those meetings and via the survey.
That information helped to generate the following desired characteristics. These characteristics were used in various phases of the hiring process (e.g. recruitment, screening, interview). All candidates were asked the same questions.
- A strong student-centered educational leader who possesses a track record of facilitating continuous educational improvement with measurable results. Routinely uses empirical data to inform decision-making.
- A collaborative leader who works to keep the momentum of the district going with a strategic focus. A team player who seeks to understand the current workings of the district and works with staff strengths.
- Understands cultural proficiency and demonstrates the ability to build a climate of equity, tolerance, acceptance, and civility for students and staff across a multi-campus organization.
- Is a visible, approachable presence in our communities and is an excellent communicator and empathic listener who leads by example and responds appropriately to all stakeholders across the district.
- Provides evidence of the ability to advance leadership skills with all direct reports and groom future administrative talent. A moral, consensus builder who leads with integrity and transparency.
- Provides guidance and support to the school board and ensures members are meaningfully engaged in the work of the schools within the scope of their roles and responsibilities.
- Possesses short- and long-term financial acumen. Has a clear understanding of budget development and financial management and ensures budget processes are aligned with board goals and mission.
- Closing date for applications: March 1, 2021
- There were initially 16 applicants from 12 different states. The 16 applicants were narrowed down to five by the consultant and HR committee. The first step in the interview process was for each candidate to provide a recorded three-minute answer to each of three questions.
- School Board selects finalists to interview: March 15, 2021
- After viewing the videos, committee members narrowed the pool to four candidates to move on to the next round. One candidate from that group withdrew because he accepted a position in another district.
- The three remaining candidates were interviewed the week of March 22 by an 11-member advisory panel comprised of community members, faculty, administrators, Board members, support staff, and a DEI coach.
- Interviews with the School Board: Late March 2021
- The finalists will be interviewed again the week of March 29 by the HR committee.
- Selection of new Superintendent: April 2021
- On Tuesday, April 6th, and on Tuesday, April 13th the final candidates were interviewed by the full Board, and a hiring decision was made.
The new Superintendent’s start date is July 1, 2021.
View the brochure about the position and the district.